These stories are all from the pages of Historic Motor Racing News. Some have been abbreviated for this web site. If you'd like to receive the full version, go to Subscribe where you will find postal subscriptions available. A full subscription also entitles you to access the current issue online (available soon), so you can take it with you and read it anywhere, and we are working on providing full access to our archives of back issues exclusively for our subscribers. Those who subscribe online are automatically given access to our bulletin board area.
Nearly 400 four cars of every size, shape, and era lined up on the rolling fairways of the Amelia Island Golf Club for the 24th annual Amelia Island Concours d’Elegance on the weekend of 10-12 March. A rare 1938 Mercedes-Benz 540K Autobahn-Kurier won Best in Show in the Concours d’Elegance category and a 1957 Ferrari 335 S, driven in period by amongst others, Mike Hawthorn, Peter Collins and Stirling Moss captured Best in Show honours in the Concours de Sport category. Themes this year included a tribute to Jacky Ickx, that saw many of the F1 and Le Mans driver’s past chariots gathered on the picturesque lawns, including a replica of the Mercedes 280 GE Gelandewagen with which he won the Dakar in 1983, and Cars of the Rock Stars with Janis Joplin’s psychedelically painted Porsche 356, a Corvette driven by Elvis Presley, Ricky Nelson’s Cadillac Eldorado owned by Bill Warner and AC/DC’s Brian Johnson’s 1928 Bentley.
'Edition 0’ of The International Concours of Elegance (The I.C.E.) organised by Lisippa SAGL headed by Marco Makaus in partnership with the municipality of St. Moritz and Badrutt’s Palace Hotel, and sponsored by Pirelli, took place on March 3 on the glitzy ski resort’s frozen lake, usually known for its White Turf horseracing and polo matches. Set to become a regular addition to the St Moritz winter programme, this year saw the trial run in a relaxed and friendly atmosphere and organisers are determined to keep an element of real fun in the event in contrast to many more serious concours. Part of the fun is that the cars get to run on the lake and many were equipped with studded tyres for the purpose. This first pilot version saw two prizes awarded, one by popular vote of the public and the other was the vote of a “Social Media Jury” in which many experts and influencers were able to express their preference. The “Spirit of St. Moritz” prize went to the 1929 Bentley 4.5 Litre of Alex Boller, while the “InstaLake” prize went to …… and Lamborghini Countach 25°.
The Formula Junior Historic Racing Association (FJHRA), run by Duncan Rabagliati and daughter Sarah Mitriké, is the umbrella group that supports Formula Junior racing throughout the world. Their Lurani Trophy series is an FIA Championship that runs in Europe, and with the HSCC they also run the Silverline UK Championship. Apart from that there are FJ championship races in Australia, New Zealand and the US. Unlike the other FIA Championships, continuation or replica cars are not eligible in the FJ Championship. This caused controversy some years ago, as International regulations allow it and the argument went that a historic FIA Championship should be subject to FIA regulations for historic cars – that is to say, Appendix K – the same as everybody else.
The Pandora-Austin, a unique small-capacity sports racer that originated in Surrey and finished in a Sussex garage in the early 1960s, was reunited with its creator Roger Phillips, period associates and family at Goodwood – scene of its maiden race with Raymond Jackson in May 1964 – on March 14. Painstakingly restored by owner Andy Prill and his team over several years, with enthusiastic help from veteran racer Phillips, the neat BMC A-series engined machine had suffered over years of club racing and hillclimbing, during which time its identity morphed into the boxy Micron. Phillips, who had planned to build a run of Pandora “Lotus eaters” through his family engineering business close to the Sussex motor circuit, before becoming a sales director of LEC Refrigeration (budding racer David Purley’s father Charlie’s concern) took him to the north west of England
In July 1939 Jean Bugatti accepted the invitation to compete at the first Bugatti Owners’ Club International Prescott Hillclimb and brought the monoposto Type 59 fitted with 8-cylinder supercharged 4.7-litre type 50B engine for his works driver Jean-Pierre Wimille. The car came second in the event behind the ERA of Raymond Mays. Except for its single post-war outing in 1945 in the hands of Wimille at the Coupe des Prisonniers in the Bois de Boulogne in Paris, the 59/50B was not to be driven again and like so many Bugattis, ended up in the Schlumpf collection, which has now become the French National motor museum - Cité de l’Automobile in Mulhouse. This summer the car will return to Prescott after 80 years as part of the Bugatti Trust’s summer exhibition, just as the Bugatti Owners Club that owns Prescott celebrates its 90th anniversary this year with a special anniversary edition of the famous hillclimb on 25-26 May